Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Oct 30 2006

The prevailing theme for our school seems to continue to be our struggles with Math. As I am visiting classrooms, I see the frustration on the faces of some of our students as they struggle with the "new" math. I say new, because students today are required to know more than basic facts. Not only must they answer the "what," they must answer "why"! So many variable go into teaching math. Our teachers have a tremendous responsibility, one that often times goes un-rewarded, but they continue to teach. I am realizing daily that my major focus or task should be visiting and monitoring instruction. As a leader, it is my job to ensure that our teachers remain focused on the task of teaching our students. Also, we must monitor and adjust our instruction where needed.
The subject of departmentalization has been circulated among the staff. As I think on that subject I have my doubts. Departmentalization can work, however I believe the elementary setting is where those personal relationships are formed. When students are contained in one classroom, with one teacher they are able to watch the formation of the child. Students enter one way in August and leave in May a totally different child. Departmentalizing would hinder the effectiveness of the teacher with that growth. Academically, I think it would work if you had the right teacher. A teacher who is strong in Math should be tasked with teaching math. This is an issue I will continue to monitor.

No comments: